Monday, March 2, 2009

"Slip" Take 2

Saturday Munch, Shawn and I went to the "clay store". This was Munchie's first trip. We bought a few new tools to try and some mason stains so we could try making our own slip but just in case we got two premixed slips as a back up.
I tried making slip a few weeks ago, inspired by another blog (Linda..Blue Star Gallery). I had used quick Crete stain instead of mason stains because that's all I could get locally. Well it was supposed to be red. I watered some down and used it to paint like a watercolor. Turned out kinda silver metallic and in some areas brown. I didn't measure anything just put a squirt in a shot glass and added some water, maybe a few teaspoons if I had to guess. Then I mixed up some of my clay that was waste from throwing on the wheel with a hand mixer in a big bowl so it was like pancake batter then again without measuring squirted some color into it. I dipped a piece, painted a piece, carved out a design on a piece then just globbed a bunch on a piece. The end result it that it turned like a dark oatmeal/taupe color and where it was thick it peeled up and cracked. I do like the color but don't think I will make any more.
So take 2....I used the recipe that was on this other blog, kinda, I used 1cup of slip to 2 tablespoons of mason stains. I made 5 colors and just finished the test tiles and they will go to the kiln this Thursday. Now that I think about it I shouldn't have made all of them just in case it doesn't work out, I made 3 cups of each color. I probably should have only made one cup to start but I have a good feeling it will work out.
I am also going to start plastering the kids faces to make molds, I should have the plaster on Friday. I want to do some hand building next, trying to clear off the table to have some work space. In the meantime, I have a call into the electrician about the ampage problem, made my dog a vet appointment and myself an appointment to get my taxes done.
I am going to start an inspiration book, taking pics of stuff I like, designs etc and start sketching stuff, on the PB group some people make screen savers. I like that idea, but still can't get the pics downloaded but my boyfriend is going to see what he can do tonight to fix that. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment