Monday, February 9, 2009

Covered in Clay

My house is a wreck! Something has to be done. I realize now I can not keep working in the house well at least not how I have been. My wheel is in the living room. I have turned the dinning room into storage. The kitchen of course is involved because of clean up and for mixing slip. Laney Lue and I end up covered and clay is tracked everywhere.
My options:
The attic- I don't want to carry supplies up and down 2 flights of stairs plus it is not refinished so I will sweat or freeze for 9 months out of the year. I have thought of turning this area into master bed and bath then I would have room in my flat for a studio BUT that will keep the mess where I have to live and I can't put a kiln in the attic at least I don't think I can...where would I vent to, the electric to be run would be outrageous cost.
The cellar- The cellar is huge, it is low in some spots but there is two big sinks, the breaker box is there so that would be the best place for the kiln from what I have read. (dunno how heavy kiln is but at least there is only five steps and a bill co door to access it ). There are some small windows and I am thinking I could vent threw one of them. It doesn't freeze down there but is a little chilly in the winter. I could box off my work area and use an electric heater if I had to but will it be too damp??? will this effect my wheel or my kiln later on??? will my clay dry who knows. Should I just put the kiln in the garage so I can just open the door and not have to vent but then there is the wiring...the kiln will be far from the breaker box and that will increase the cost plus I think it will be easier if everything is in one location.
New building- should I go threw the drama to just build a little shed in the back yard to work in...this will be expensive and I will have to deal with the city and the permits YUCK! I also don't have much room in my yard and I want to be able to do some outdoor firing (because I am sure the city will love that).
I don't know yet but I know I have to do something and fast!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment